Sunday, January 25, 2009

SI Vault: A Look Back


Sports Illustrated's Online Vault is pretty much the greatest thing since sliced bread, and periodically we'll be taking a look back at a memorable story. This week's article was originally published August 2, 1993 and written by Richard Hoffer.

Please for the love of God, I hope this news doesn't come to fruition. But since it's in the news, I thought it would be nice to take a look back at the Dan Reeves era in Denver. It was always interesting to me how there really was a realistic chance that if Reeves continued to coach the Broncos, then John Elway would have left via free agency. In the end, I'm not sure Reeves ever got the credit he deserved for directing the Broncos to their (losing) Super Bowls. He moved on to become coach of the year with the Giants and then went on to lead the Falcons to another (losing) Super Bowl.

Within the article there are some very interesting quotes from Elway:
"The last three years have been hell," he said. "I know that I would not have been back here if Dan Reeves had been here. It wasn't worth it to me. I didn't enjoy it. It wasn't any fun, and I got tired of working with him," and from Reeves: "it wasn't exactly heaven for me, either. One of these days I hope he grows up. Maybe he'll mature sometime."

In the article, Bronco players seem pretty excited for the Wade Phillips era. How'd that work out ? Oh yeah, about as well as the Wade Phillips era is working in Dallas.

"Happy Days" 8/2/93 by Richard Hoffer

No comments:

Post a Comment