Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Say It Ain't So Smoltzie


If you would guess this would be my first post sufficiently drunk, you would guess correct.

First of all, I'm hoping the reports aren't true. I'm hoping that Smoltzie wakes up and change his mind. I'm hoping that Frank Wren calls and offers him more than what the Red Sox have. I learned at a very young age that players don't play their whole careers with one team. I'm not naive. I have witnessed Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform. Ronnie Lott and later Jerry Rice in a Raiders uniform. I have learned the hard way that even the greatest of players can leave for your arch rivals. I know it's really a unique and abnormal situation these days when a player spends his Hall of Fame career in one uniform. It's what has made me appreciate Joe Sakic more and more every year that he plays. I just never, ever thought it would happen with John Smoltz. He has had many opportunities to leave for more money in the past. Every year of my life that I have watched baseball, Smoltz has been there in a Braves uniform.

If the reports are true, I wish nothing but the best for Smoltzie. If the Braves don't win the World Series in '09 (which they won't), then I hope the Red Sox do. Smoltz deserves it. I really can't blame him for leaving. The Braves are not going to be competitive for another three years at least until Schafer, Heyward, Hanson, etc. get their feet wet. He has one more shot to get a ring. He has the chance to cement his chances for the Hall of Fame, start a foundation for his broadcasting career, and climb the mountain one more time.

Quite simply, there's not enough space on the internet for me to type about who's the blame here. GM Frank Wren simply should not have let this happen. The Braves have $40 million to spend in the offseason, allegedly, and have found nobody willing to take their money. The Braves are like the fat, ugly guy going to the Bunny Ranch with 5 grand in his hand going 'hello, I have money, why won't anybody have sex with me.' The Red Sox have reportedly offered Smoltz a guaranteed $5 mill plus another $5.5 in incentives. Smoltz is easily one of the five greatest Atlanta Braves of all-time. You really couldn't have matched or exceeded that ?? On top of this being a PR nightmare, the Braves have a need for top of the line starting pitchers, but that doesn't even matter. For all Smoltz has given the franchise, he deserved the franchise taking a risk on him for once.

I'm going to continue my drinking and hope Smoltz changes his mind in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment